Just over two weeks remain until Back to School Mini-Session weekend is upon us! Who's excited? (WE ARE! WE ARE!) With only FIVE sessions remaining it is SUPER important to book now if you plan on booking!! If you've booked already you've probably been wondering what exactly to wear during these sessions! Below I have some inspirations that I've found on various websites online and some words of advice for outfit choice! Enjoy! :)
1) Since these mini-sessions will have a vintage feel to them I recommend using neons sparingly. It's awesome to accent with neon but it tends to look a little out of place among older/vintage props.
2) Denim is 100% screaming fall so if your kiddos aren't feeling the dress pants roll with it and just pair those jeans with a little button up or sequin tank and sweater!
3) Shoes will be seen in some of the images so make sure they are coordinating to the outfit that you choose! (We can always go bare foot if need be, too!)
4) If you have multiple kiddos you may consider coordinating their outfits in case you want to create a collage or gallery wall with these photos!
5) In photos SUPER thin stripes look just a little off. Stripes are wonderfully fine just maybe opt for a bit more space between them!
6) Since these are back to school sessions you may consider having your child wear their uniform if they have one! Since uniforms are generally (not always) navy and khaki they will definitely fit with the vintage atmosphere!
7) It is 100% okay to bring backpacks with as a prop! Many little ones who are younger can't get enough of their backpacks every year! Bring it and capture that enthusiasm (possibly as a reminder for when they're older and "hate school..")
8) Layers are fantastic! We can always take a minute to take off a button up shirt to reveal the polo underneath or add a sweater to change the look as well (just please note these are SHORT sessions so full outfit changes are not an option!)
FOR YOUNGER CHILDREN:
Younger kiddos are so much fun because they are always just a little bit wonky in absolutely the CUTEST way! For littles I recommend anything non-logo filled or screen printed. With every recommendation comes an exception, however, like the cute little tyke in the third photo and his screen printed suspenders and bow tie. It may be fun to find a vintage inspired dress or vest as well, but no need to purchase new clothing unless you want to!
(If you are having a hard time finding little boy's non-screen printed shirts/tops check out Janie and Jake online or Crazy 8, both of those places usually have some cute items without the large print/dinosaurs!)
Pre-teens are super fun because they start to have their very own sense of style! Let them rock that! If your daughter likes everything sparkley/neon, accent a simple dress with some funky leggings or a bright belt! Sequin headbands can also be a way to incorporate a little bit of her into the photos! Pre-teen boys, on the other hand, may just like their flip-flops and basketball shorts... Try to find some common ground (maybe jean shorts, his favorite converse shoes, and a polo) while still allowing him to look like he does everyday versus just on picture day!
Teens are tricky business. For the boys: any moderately nice sweater or shirt will look just perfectly fine with jeans or khakis. For the girls: just make sure skirts are not too short (otherwise the poses we can use decreases greatly) and the shoes coordinate! Also please remember ladies that you DON'T need to add extra makeup for your session! Just do your make-up how you always do and maybe add a little lip gloss for fun! :)
If you have ANY outfit questions at all that I didn't outline above feel free to send them to me!! Your outfit is nothing to stress over but it can definitely alter the final images!
I so look forward to working with all of you!!
****Please note that not all of the images above are my own property! I do not hold copyright to many of them and am not using them in any way but for outfit inspiration! They were all found on Pinterest and the original links will be provided if you would like them! Thanks! ****