"Many people do not realize that professional photography is an art and a course in education." ~Tiffany S. - TEM Photography
Since a majority of the general public now carries a camera in their pocket 24/7 there is a mis-conception that anyone can do true photography. I cannot stress enough just how un-true that is.
I would like to walk you through a five point list of reasons what it means to be a PROFESSIONAL PHOTOGRAPHER, in hopes of shining even the smallest beam of light on this rocky topic and helping you make an informed decision of who to capture your families special moments.
1) A true professional photographer owns a real business. They are held accountable by such agencies as the BBB as well as the government (hello taxes!), and because of this, generally have a level of professionalism and work ethic unmatched by an amateur.
2) While it is true that anyone can have an eye for photography, the people who have really made it to the stage of owning a legit business generally are a bit more honed in on what makes great images. They know more than the textbook rules and have learned on the job what looks the best as well as what clients really want to see. This means they will produce high quality images that you will truly adore.
3) They have the ability to transform images with realistic editing. I cannot even begin to explain how frustrating it is for me to see images that are so blurred, out of focus, color corrected (incorrectly), and OVER edited that it seems like they were plugged into Instagram and given a once over. I can tell you this, every image takes me between two and twenty images. I hand edit every single image to ensure they all look their best, and provide small adjustments that improve image quality. Please make sure your photographer is willing to do the same!
In the image above, for example, I was not satisfied with the background of the image after being unable to get what I wanted during the session SOOC (straight out of camera.) With some advanced editing I was able to transform an otherwise "MEH" image into something professional quality, something online photo editors can rarely achieve. (I have many more examples like the one above as well, if requested I will gladly show some before and after's for everyone!)
4) A truly professional photographer will also be making a living (or part of a living) off of doing great work during photo sessions. Yes, some people may charge less but what are you really getting? Make sure before you decide on a person to spend your precious time with you know EXACTLY what you will be getting. I cannot stress enough that even if someone promises you EVERY image from a two hour session, on disc, for $25 there is probably a catch (p.s. the catch is usually the quality!) Though professionals may have to charge more you are getting so much more than "just some images"!!! You are paying for their time, expertise, equipment, editing ability, vision, and SO MUCH MORE!
5) Professional photographers are artists capable of capturing images of true moments in time, moments you will never get back, and moments that you will cherish forever. Your child is only a baby once, trust a professional with those moments. Your parents (or anyone for that matter) may not be here tomorrow, trust a professional with your moments.
"Professional photographers are artists capable of capturing images of true moments in time, moments you will never get back, and moments that you will cherish forever."
The moral of the story:
Professionals are worth the extra money, I promise.
I must say though, whoever you choose to capture your families special moments, memories, or milestones, whether it be TEM Photography, another professional, or not, please make sure you truly examine their work, connect with their being, and trust in their vision. If you are unsure or uncomfortable it will show in the images. If you aren't sure of their editing, choose someone else (artists aren't born overnight and editing won't improve overnight either!) PLEASE, I BEG OF YOU, make your decision off of MORE than just the dollar sign!
With sincerest thanks for reading,
<3 ~ T.
FIND US ON Instagram
Have we worked together? If we have I'd love it if you'd leave me a review!